Season 8, Episode 10 (161)
Original Air Date - 14 February 2016 (Sunday)
Castle is holding a a Nikki Heat book-reading for charity at a fan's home when he witnesses one of the guests being murdered upstairs. On the stand in court, he comes under pressure from the defence attorney – and begins to wonder if the defendant is guilty after all.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Kristoffer Polaha - Caleb Brown
- Christopher B Duncan - Marcus Weller
- Denise Dowse - Judge Walcott
- Tuc Watkins - Roger Masters
- Kassie DePaiva - Joanna Masters
- Clare Grant - Nina O'Keefe
- Aline Elasmar - Bridget Dantana
- Anna Grace Barlow - Annie Beakman
- Jonathan Bray - Lloyd Beakman
- Possibly as a result of late scheduling changes that saw the previous episode, Tone Death, moved back by a week, this episode was rescheduled and became the the first ever new Castle episode to air on a Sunday in the US. The following episode, Dead Red, aired the following day, Monday 15, meaning the second half of season 8 began with three episodes in eight days.
Beckett: Now Rick, be charming, but not too charming.
Castle: That's like asking Superman not to be too super
Castle: I'll be fine - especially as the word on the streets is the defence lawyer is a total hack.
Beckett: Oh yeah? Who is it?
Castle: Stan Novak.
Beckett: Short Attention Span Stan? That guy gets lost in his own cross-examinations.
Castle: (discovering that Beckett will be in court too) We should come up with a secret signal. A little thing just between the two of us that says 'I love you'!
Beckett: You know, I think that would be a little unwise... (sees Castle is rubbing his nose vigorously) ... do you need a tissue?
Castle: No, this is my ... that's the secret 'I love you' signal - do you like it?
Beckett: Rubbing your nose?
Beckett: Yeah, that's really romantic.
Caleb: Is it possible my client did not kill Mrs Beekman?
Castle: Oh no, it was definitely her.
Caleb: And you remember the events of the evening clearly? Because I know you have a history of memory loss.
Caleb: I'm disappointed in you Mr Castle. I thought you, of all people, would be sympathetic to my client. Weren't you once framed for murder?
Castle: That... yeah, that was 3XK - the serial killer. He had a vendetta against me. That was ... that was different.
Caleb: Why is it different for you, but not for my client? What makes you so special, Mr Castle? Dr Parish testified that the victim, Mrs Beekman, was alive for five to 10 minutes after being stabbed and in excruciating pain. Might not be that my client simply came across the victim after the true killer had stabbed her and fled?
Castle: But that doesn't ...
Caleb: This is not one of your stories, sir, you do not get to make up the facts as you see fit. Now my client is fighting for her life, just as you once fought for yours against 3XK. So now, I ask you one last time: is it possible, Mr Castle, that my client did not kill Mrs Beekman?
Castle: Yes... it's possible.
Caleb. Yes It's possible. Possible that you are wrong. Nothing further, your honour.
Castle: Hey, thank you.
Beckett: For what?
Castle: For not giving up on me.
Beckett: Well, you've never given up on me, so ...
(Castle moves in for a kiss)
Beckett: Castle, wait. Not here.
Castle: Oh, right. Separated. Well ... (rubs his nose vigorously)
Beckett: Are you ok? Do you have allergies?
Castle: No, that's the signal! That's the 'I love ...'
Beckett: Oh! Yes! You now, you really should come up with something better.
Castle: It's adorable!
Beckett: (on phone) Are you out of your mind?
Castle: (on phone) I didn't do anything wrong!
Beckett: You tricked a judge to delay a trial and then you illegally questioned the defendant!
Castle: Yeah ... but other than that, I didn't do anything wrong.
Castle: (bursting into the courtroom with Beckett) Stop the trial!
(Everyone turns in astonishment)
Beckett: (under her breath) OK, so now what?
Castle: Don't know. I didn't think this one all the way through.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Sadie Beakman, TV news correspondent
- Cause of death: Stabbed with a fire-iron upstairs in the Masters's house
- Perp: Lloyd Beakman, Sadie's husband
- Motive: Anger over believing his wife was having an affair