Season 8, Episode 9 (160)
Original Air Date - 8 February 2016
The death of a staff member at Martha's latest show leads Castle and Beckett into the world of a cappella competitions and a singing group of reformed ex-cons.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Corbin Bleu - Hunter
- John Billingsley - Dr Larson
- Mark Famiglietti - Scott Weinberg
- Fiona Gubelmann - Linda Weinberg
- Jaquita Ta'le - Charisse
- Sonya Eddy - Mama Toussaint
- Arnell Powell - Chris Jackson
- Anthony Ma- Emree
- Valeria Maldonado - Agnes Molina
- Mason McCulley - Percy Johnson III
- Nikhil Pal - Troy Horowitz
- Reilly Brooke Stith - Robyn King
- Joe Regalbuto - Dan O'Grady
- ABC's new "split-season" scheduling, plus a series of unexplained schedule changes, saw this episode – the first of 2016 – initially scheduled for 4 January, then 1 February, then finally 8 February. This was the first time since season 1 that Castle had not aired a new episode in January, and marked the longest midseason hiatus of any season.
- In keeping with the subject of the episode, the theme tune over the title card is sung a cappella.
Beckett: (on phone in elevator): He, so I heard about Martha. Why didn't you pull me out of the meeting?
Castle: (in precinct) Well, I thought about it, but this whole new 'secret relationship' ...I wasn't quite sure what the rules were.
Beckett: Well, is she ok?
Castle: Physically, yes, she's fine. Emotionally not so much. She made me promise to help track down Robyn's killer.
Beckett: Of course. But you know that publicly I can't agree to that.
Castle: What do you mean?
Beckett: Well, it means I love you, but right now, I'm going to have to yell at you. (The elevator doors open and Beckett steps out). Castle! We talked about this! You can't be here!
Castle: Well excuse me for living, but I've got a damn good reason!
Beckett: I don't care what your reason is, you can't just waltz in and out of my precinct whenever you want!
Castle: My mother was traumatised, captain! I'm involved in this case whether you like it or not!
Beckett: Fine. But you' re on a short leash!
Castle: Oh, I'll decide how short my leash is!
Alexis: Wait, wait - shouldn't we call the cops?
Martha: Yeah, it's a kinda dangerous neighbourhood.
Castle: Ladies: with ll the gentrification going on, there's no such thing as bad riverfront property.
Alexis: (starting at sudden noise) Was that a rat?
Castle: No, that was too big to be a rat.
Esposito: What did you do?
Ryan: You got slapped, Castle. You definitely did something.
Esposito: ... or someone! You cheated?
Castle: What? No!
Ryan: Castle, don't you lie to us. Beckett's family. You cheat on her, you cheat on us.
Esposito: What's her name?
Castle: Guys, I'm telling you the truth! (Esposito grabs him) Ow! That's my skin!
Esposito: What is her name?
Castle: (thinking) ... Svetlana?
Ryan: (scornfully) Svetlana! Is she some kind of Russian underwear model?
Castle: Er ... yeah?
(The suspect's door opens)
Grimes: What the hell are you doing?
Esposito: NYPD. We're coming in.
Castle: Thanks for the call! I came as soon as I ... what?
Castle: Yeah, I was gonna tell you about that earlier. I thought it would be better if I told you in person, so ...
Castle: So the boys, they got suspicious and accused me of cheating! I panicked and now they think I'm dating a Russian model called Svetlana.
Beckett: And you couldn't think of a better name?
Castle: Right? I know! It was the only name I could come up with. I don't know why. But still, she's a model. A really, really hot model.
Beckett: Damn straight she is.
Ryan: You doing ok?
Beckett: Er ... yeah?
Ryan: I was crushed when I heard about Svetlana.
Beckett: (surprised) ... you were?
Beckett: Oh! Er .. well... you know, I think it's for the best.
Ryan: Oh yeah?
Beckett: Yeah. As a matter of fact,, I'm dating someone else too. A ... Dr (pause) ... Livingstone.
Esposito: (nodding as he speaks) No, Castle, you cannot hack Chloe's account on behalf of the NYPD.
Ryan: (nodding as he speaks) We absolutely forbid you.
Castle:(taking the hint) Honestly, how did you guys ever solve murders without me?
Esposito: All the time.
(Castle trips over the murder board on his way out)
Beckett: (emerging from office) Hey, where's Castle going?
Esposito: (after a pause) ... you don't wanna know... Because, Beckett, you don't need him!
Ryan: And, look, just so you know: you get us in the breakup, ok?
Castle: Guys, I really appreciate you letting me help out on this one.
Esposito: Well, we'd do anything for Martha.
Ryan: Yeah, we still like her.
(Beckett knocks on loft door)
Castle: Who is it?
Beckett: Svetlana, your sexy Russian lover!
Castle: Correction! Svetlana, your sexy Russian lover who happens to be a model! (He puts on a stethoscope)
Beckett: (coming up to him) Dr Livingstone, I presume.
Castle: Well, I couldn't find my pith helmet, so ... (They kiss)
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Robyn King, ex-con, night janitor and a cappella singer
- Cause of death: Struck over the head, then hidden in the theatre's snow-shaker box up in the rafters
- Perp: Scott Weinberg, co-founder of the a cappella competition
- Motive: To prevent the truth emerging that it was his wife, not Robyn, who had caused the car crash for which Robyn went to jail