Season 8, Episode 12 (163)
Original Air Date - 22 February 2016
Castle and Beckett are abducted and locked into separate school classrooms with two groups of strangers, where they must work together to solve a serious of strange and potentially fatal games.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Kevin Christy - Todd/Brandon Northcliff
- Cyrus Farmer - Judah
- Kai Lennox - Simon
- Idara Victor - Patty
- Vedette Lim - Meadow
- Amy Robach - Lila Campo
- Pamela Dunlap - Secretary
- Elena Evangelo - Jennifer Perez
- James McAndrew - Nick Buckley
- Constance Forsland - Mrs Northcliff
- Christopher Forsland - Mr Northcliff
- The cryptex used to decipher one of the clues was introduced in the novel The Da Vinci Code, as was its name. Similar devices which existed before the novel was written (2004) were simpler and not as reliable or secure.
- One of the victim's colleagues at the TV news channel where she worked is played by Amy Robach, one of the anchors on ABC's Good Morning America.
Castle: (arriving at Martha and Alexis's table) Boo-yah! Guess who's about to have the best day ever?
Martha: Could it be the fellow who just interrupted rather rudely with 'Boo-yah'?
Alexis: What's going on, dad?
Castle: Er ... sorry, I can't tell you, I'm sworn to secrecy.
Alexis: OK. (turning back to Martha) So my psych professor said fear is an emotion, which it is, but then I ...
Castle: Aren't you even going to try to pry the secret out of me?
Martha: Darling, we are right in the middle of something here, so if you just wait for a moment, we will give you our full attention, OK? OK.
Alexis: Gram, you know he's just going to keep pouting until he get his way. Dad, just tell us your secret.
Castle: OK! But only because you insisted.
Castle: (waking up groggy in the classroom) So, what, am I in kindergarten again ... (looking around) So where's Mrs Finch?
Castle: (trying to solve the anagram to open the crypt) 'Dairy Pole' ... no ... 'I play doer' (shakes head) ... 'A dire ploy' ... Wait a minute! (operating the cryptex) 'Play ... or ... die'.
Beckett: The important thing is to stay calm.
Meadow: Screw calm! I say we break that glass and hack our way out of here! (heads over to the fire axe in its emergency box)
Beckett: No! That's not a good idea.
Meadow: Tough! If this isn't an emergency, I don't know what is.
Beckett: Look, whoever's behind this isn't stupid enough to leave something we can use to go free, which means that's a trap.
Patty: What are we going to do? This is all a game to our captor. We're being manipulated.
Beckett: (looking up at the camera) We're going to change the rules.
Castle: Is that another clue?
Beckett: Last piece of the puzzle. (Reading from the piece of paper): 'Of those who remain, only your better half may survive'.
Judah: What the hell does that mean?
Beckett: There are six of us left, and three levers. He wants to separate the couples: make us choose who goes free.
Brandon: No more talking. Time to solve the final puzzle. Which one of you dies?
Beckett: I won't choose.
Castle: Neither will I.
Brandon: Decide! Or I'll start maiming you till someone does (aims the shotgun as if to fire)
Castle: OK, OK! I'll choose. I'll decide.
Brandon: Good. Who does, Rick?
Castle: No one dies. (He hits him with one of the levers, while Beckett disarms him).
Beckett: What's wrong?
Castle: Nothing ... I was really looking forward to the prospect of collaborating with Stephen King, you know?
Beckett: Well, you know, Castle, look on the bright side. When Stephen King does call, at least you'll have one hell of an icebreaker.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Emma Matthews, TV reporter
- Cause of death: Shot in her own apartment
- Victim: Simon, one of the captives
- Cause of death: Killed by booby-trapped gun when he tries to shoot 'Todd'
- Perp: 'Todd' aka Brandon Northcliff
- Motive: Killed Emma to prevent truth about his plot being reported; subjected the others to elaborate revenge after being the subject of extreme psychological experimentation as a child