Season 8, Episode 20 (171)
Original Air Date - 2 May 2016
A Hollywood action star is found murdered while rehearsing for a Shakespeare play. Meanwhile, Ryan is directing the play at his daughter's pre-school, and Beckett has completely forgotten that it's date night.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Jewel Staite - Erin Cherloff
- Juliana Dever - Jenny Ryan
- Marco Rodriguez - Jorge "El Oso" Zamacona
- Marco Zunino - Hector Zamacona
- Gabriel Salvador - Alejandro Guzman
- Claudio Pinto - Johnny Toro
- Ken Colquitt - Agent Richmond
- Jonny Cruz - Zane Cannon
- Emily Goss - Naomi Fox
- Andrew Elvis Miller - Jake Cuneo
- Madelyn Witkin - Sarah Grace Ryan
Castle: (opening box): Yesss!
Beckett: Wow! I haven't seen you this excited since ... well ... earlier this morning.
Castle: So what are we doing tonight?
Beckett: (bluffing) Well ... it's a surprise, Castle.
Castle: Ooh, I love surprises! At least tell me what to wear, on a wardrobe scale of 1 to 10, 10 being James Bond and 1 being Big Lebowski? Give me a number.
(Beckett's phone rings)
Beckett: (seeing it's the precinct) For now? Five. Crime scene casual.
Beckett: (muting the TV news report) One PP has been on my ass about keeping media under control and now my husband is the face of the investigation.
Castle: It's not all bad news, Beckett.
Castle: That's a great photo of me.
Ryan: It turns out that Zane was renting a suite at the Black Door Hotel under a fake name.
Castle: Ah, the Black Door! Yes, very fancy. Known for being discreet … Is what I've heard. From other people. Who were once single. Not married.
Beckett: So - apart from pissing off a homicidal drug lord, how did you enjoy our surprise date night?
Castle: Are you saying you planned my abduction by a fugitive cartel leader?
Beckett: Yeah! Complete with ... the daring rescue and everything. It was fun, huh?
Castle: I don't think date night counts when it's candlelit dinner with the Butcher of Guadalajara.
Beckett: Well, I'll plan something else...
Castle: Something else? (Realising) You didn't have a plan!
Beckett: (busted) I … er ... Do you realise how pressure-filled this is? Always trying to top each other?
Castle: That's half the fun of it! Our rivalry is what fuels the passionate fire ... Rivalry!
Castle: (leaping up, heading out of the bedroom to the computer): Rivalry. Between two brothers!
Beckett: (following him out): What?
Castle: (opening the surprise delivery) Script notes ... biographical materials ... it's from El Oso! Beckett, do you realise what this means?
Beckett: He still wants you to write his script.
Castle: And he's doesn't want me dead!
Beckett: Until he reads the first draft.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Zane Cannon, Hollywood actor
- Cause of death: Stabbed with a sharpened quill
- Perp: Erin Cherloff, director
- Motive: Anger/career damage: Zane had offered her chance to direct his blockbuster movie, for which being cast in a high-risk Broadway production had been his price. Then he had abruptly broken his promise and taken the film away from her