Unlike his tough, seemingly always together partner, Ryan is a little more of a clutz, but still a very skilled detective. He tends to put his foot in his mouth, eliciting a slap across the head from Esposito or a glare from Beckett, and drop or bumble things. One time he pushed off too hard while sitting in his rolling desk chair and Esposito had to grab the chair's arm to keep Ryan from flying across the precinct. Nevertheless, he is fiercely loyal to Beckett and Esposito.
Spent some time working with the narcotics division of the NYPD (around 2003 when the legend Cavalo started to circulate) before becoming a homicide detective.
Family and Romantic Life
He is in a happy relationship with a sweet young woman named Jenny, who, as Esposito says, has him "whipped." As off Little Girl Lost, they had been dating for two weeks. In Nikki Heat, he proposes to her, saying she will make him the happiest man in the world, and she accepts. They marry in Til Death Do Us Part.
One of his previous girlfriends was into vampirism, which eventually caused him to break up with her.
Seamus plays him like he has two older sisters "so Ryan's always been comfortable with his feminine side..." In Once Upon a Crime, he tells Beckett that an older sister used to read him the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale when he was younger.
- His colleagues poke fun of him because of his nickname of Honeymilk, which comes from the warm milk infused with honey that his girlfriend and eventual fiancee Jenny, makes him to help him sleep at night.
- To Esposito's horror, he reveals that he got the couch in his apartment on which he and Esposito frequently sit to play video games, from the corner of 54th and Lexington Avenue, where someone had abandoned it.
- Is a fan of the book Eat, Pray, Love
- Was once invited to become a male stripper by a booking agent who assured him that the Twilight look was in.
- His girlfriend/fiancee/wife Jenny is played by Seamus Dever's real-life wife Juliana Dever.
- Has a dream of buying a winery if he ever wins the lottery since he and Jenny visited one on their first vacation together.
- Ryan is also a huge Elvis fan. His mother was obssesed with his music.
- His badge number is 42344.
- "Interview with Seamus Dever" Movie Mikes, written by Mike Gencarelli, posted January 24, 2011
- "Interview: Castle Co-Stars Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic The Futon Critic, written by Jim Halterman, posted 11/15/2010
- Vampire Weekend, episode 2.6
- Comic-Con 2011: Castle interviews with Nathan Fillion, Seamus Dever, Jon Huertas, Molly Quinn, and Executive Producer Laurie Zaks by Dave Trumbore, Collider.com, posted July 27, 2011
- Hell Hath No Fury, episode 1.4
- Almost Famous, episode 3.7
- Lucky Stiff, episode 3.14
- After the Storm