Unlike his tough, seemingly always together partner, Ryan is a little more of a clutz, but still a very skilled detective and loyal to Beckett. He tends to put his foot in his mouth, eliciting a slap across the head from Esposito or a glare from Beckett, and drop or bumble things. One time he pushed off too hard while sitting in his rolling desk chair and Esposito had to grab the chair's arm to keep Ryan from flying across the precinct.
Spent some time working with the narcotics division of the NYPD before becoming a homicide detective.
Family and Romantic Life
He is in a happy relationship with a sweet young woman named Jenny, who, as Esposito says, has him "whipped." In Nikki Heat, he proposes to her, saying she will make him the happiest man in the world, and she accepts.
One of his previous girlfriends was into vampirism, which eventually caused him to break up with her.
The only family he mentions is an older sister.
- His colleagues at the precinct frequently poke fun of him, especially because of his nickname: Honeymilk.
- To Esposito's horror, he reveals that he got the couch in his apartment on which he and Esposito frequently sit to play video games, from the corner of 54th and Lexington Avenue, where someone had abandoned it.
- Is a fan of the book Eat, Pray, Love
- Was once invited to become a male stripper by a booking agent who assured him that the Twilight look was in.
- Seamus Dever's real life wife Juliana Dever plays Ryan's girlfriend/fiancee Jenny.
- "Interview with Seamus Dever" Movie Mikes, written by Mike Gencarelli, posted January 24, 2011
- "Interview: Castle Co-Stars Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic The Futon Critic, written by Jim Halterman, posted 11/15/2010
- Vampire Weekend, episode 2.6
- Almost Famous, episode 3.7