He is perhaps best known for playing Commander William Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation and in several other Star Trek features.
Before getting the role of Stanley Hazard in the acclaimed miniseries North and South, he guest starred in several successful TV shows including Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, Barnaby Jones, Quincy, ME, Highway to Heaven, The Waltons, Eight is Enough, Harper Valley PTA, Hart to Hart, Hill Street Blues, Falcon Crest, and The Dukes of Hazzard. After The Next Generation ended in 1994, he continued to guest star occasionally, appearing in shows like Wings and Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman (with his wife).
His career as a director began with The Next Generation where he directed 8 episodes. He also directed 3 episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and 3 episodes of Star Trek: Voyager as well as the films Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection. Other TV shows in which he has directed include V, Leverage, Burn Notice, and NCIS: Los Angeles.
- Born August 19, 1952 in Pennsylvania
- Has a Master's degree from Harvard University
- Met his wife, Genie Francis, while shooting the acclaimed mini-series North and South where he played the brother of a character portrayed by James Read, who guest starred in Eye of the Beholder.
- Guest starred in 11 episodes of Falcon Crest, some along with Susan Sullivan
- Directed the TV movie The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice" which starred Stana Katic.