NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat arrives at her latest crime scene to find an unidentified woman stabbed to death and stuffed inside a suitcase left on a Manhattan street. Nikki is in for a big shock when this new homicide connects to the unsolved murder of her own mother. Paired once again with her romantic and investigative partner, top journalist Jameson Rook, Heat works to solve the mystery of the body in the suitcase while she is forced to confront unexplored areas of her mother's background.
Facing relentless danger as someone targets her for the next kill, Nikki's search will unearth painful family truths, expose a startling hidden life, and cause Nikki to reexamine her own past. Heat's passionate quest takes her and Rook from the back alleys of Manhattan to the avenues of Paris, trying to catch a ruthless killer. The question is, now that her mother's cold case has unexpectedly thawed, will Nikki Heat finally be able to solve the dark mystery that has been her demon for ten years?
- Author: Richard Castle
- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Hyperion
- Release Date: September 25, 2012
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1401324444
- ISBN-13: 978-1401324445
'To all the remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating people who inspire us to do great things'
- Nikki Heat - a tough and intelligent Homicide Detective who drove her career towards the NYPD in order to find her mother's killer. She is modeled after Kate Beckett.
- Jameson Rook - a world-renowned journalist with First Press magazine assigned to shadow the 20th precinct for an assignment on NYPD Detectives. He is modeled after Richard Castle.
- Detective Ochoa - a member of the 20th precinct's Homicide Division working with Nikki. He is modeled after Javier Esposito.
- Detective Raley - a member of the 20th precinct's Homicide Division and Detective Ochoa's partner. He is modeled after Kevin Ryan.
- Lauren Parry - a Medical Examiner and Nikki's best friend who maintains a warm outlook despite her chosen profession. She is modeled after Lanie Parish.
- Wallace "Wally" Irons - the bombastic new Captain of the 20th precinct who is strictly by the book and more interested in career advancement. He is modeled after Victoria Gates.
- Margaret Rook - an actress past her prime known as the "Grand Damn of Broadway" who lives with Rook in his Tribeca loft. She is modeled after Martha Rodgers.
- Detective Sharon Hinesburg: One of Nikki's colleagues in homicide, she borders on incompetent and strikes up an affair with Captain Irons.
- Petar Matic: A former lover of Nikki's from college originally from Croatia.
- Carter Damon: The retired cop who originally investigated Nikki's mother's murder.
- Detective Randall Feller: The newest member of Nikki's squad, who transferred from the Taxi Unit.
- Detective Dan Rhymer: A Burglary cop whose nickname is "Opie" because of his Southern accent.
- Detective Gallagher: Detective Rhymer's partner.
- Detectives Malcolm and Reynolds: Partners and Burglary cops assigned to Nikki for the case.
- Dr. Lon King: The NYPD therapist who Nikki is ordered to see to help her deal with investigating her mother's case.
- Anaoly Kije: A Russian spy and contact of Rook's from research on a previous story.
- Tyler Wynn: A retired spy who was Cynthia Heat's handler.
- Zach Hamner: Nicknamed "The Hammer," a hot shot special assistant to one of the Department's Deputy Commissioners. He and Nikki despise each other.
- Fariq Kuzbari: Enigmatic security attache with the Syrian embassy in New York. Loosely based on Fariq Yusef, who appeared in Setup and Countdown.
References to Castle Episodes, Cast, and Crew
- The unexpected discovery of new evidence in the death of Nikki's mother is loosely based on the shocking medical evidence Castle uncovers about Johanna Beckett's murder in Sucker Punch
- Nikki's favorite cup of coffee is a grande skim latte with two pumps of sugar-free vanilla, same as Kate Beckett.
- When Rook and Detective Feller have a disagreement over who will partner up with Nikki for the case, Rook suggests a game of Rochambeau, or Rock, Paper, Scissors, like Beckett did in An Embarrassment of Bitches.
- Detectives Malcolm and Reynolds are a play on Nathan Fillion's character Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly
References in episodes
- In Headhunters (4x21), Castle says he "owes some chapters of Frozen Heat to my editor", but can't concentrate after discovering that Beckett remembers everything that happened on the day she was shot.
- In Cloudy with a Chance of Murder (5x02), Castle agrees to do a promotional interview for the book with the local TV station, which leads to him being trapped into a "date" on air by interviewer Kristina Coterra.
- In Swan Song (5x07), Castle takes advantage of the reality-TV camera crew to introduce himself and mention the book ("Richard Castle, novelist. My latest, Frozen Heat, is in stores now!"). When he introduces Beckett as the inspiration for Nikki Heat, Beckett attempts to hide behind her coffee.
New York Times Bestseller
Frozen Heat debuted in the New York Times Bestseller list at #7.