Season 8, Episode 15 (166)
Original Air Date March 21, 2016
The murder of a recruit at the NYPD academy takes Beckett back on an emotional journey to the place where she became a cop.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Michael Bowen - Sergeant Joseph Ortiz
- Evan Adrian - Daniel Bardot
- James Morrison - Deputy Commissioner Malone
- Ellen Woglom - Rachel Decker
- Delon de Metz - Dave Chambers
- Christina Grance - Jane Lopez
- Andrew Hwang - Steve Takata
- Antonio Leon - Arthur Stinson
- Wings Hauser - Lucky Jack Flanagan
- Hal Devi - Training Officer
- The theme tune in the opening credits has a louder, rock-style rearrangement
Martha: (arriving unexpectedly, startling Castle and Beckett) Welcome home, darling!
Castle: Oh, what a pleasant surprise! (Beckett flees surreptitiously into the bedroom) You know you could have ... could have called first.
Martha: I didn't want to disturb you in case you wanted to sleep in. And I thought I would just sneak in and make my boy a little breakfast! (Seeing two table settings). Oh well, phooey, you beat me to it.
Castle: Yeah, I...
Martha: Expecting someone?
Castle: Oh just old ... habits. So did you really come just to make me breakfast? Because that does not sound like you.
Martha: Oh, pish-posh! Actually, I just got an advance copy of my book that I wanted you to see.
Castle: (reading) 'Unsolicited Advice, by Martha Rogers'. Mother! I'm so proud of you.
Martha: Ah, thank you! Read the dedication.
Castle: 'For Richard'. (Reading further) 'Without your constant stumbles in life, the advice in this book would not have been possible'. (looking up): Constant stumbles?!?
Martha: Let's not make this about you.
(Castle's phone rings)
Castle: One second. (brightly) Hey! Where are you?
Beckett: Hallway. I snuck out through the bedroom.
Ryan: (walking past recruits exercising in the academy corridor) Push-ups are the answer to everything in this place. Police work is about more than strength and endurance. It's about intellectual rigour.
Beckett: Oh come on, you guys, it wasn't all that bad here.
(Esposito points Ryan to the in the roll of honour and awards cabinet)
Ryan: (realising) ... says the academy all-star! Oh look! (Reading out the citations as Esposito points them out): Recruit Officer Beckett ... Recruit Officer Beckett ... Recruit Officer Beckett ...
Beckett: (addressing the recruits) First of all, let me assure you that I have the best NYPD detectives looking into Officer Bardot's murder. That being said, this is not going to be the last time that you lose one of your co-workers. That is a reality of this job. The temptation is going to be to remain stoic in the face of adversity: to lock up your emotions so as not to appear weak. That is a mistake. Avoid that temptation at all costs. Trust me. I have been to the edge of that map, and monsters lie there.
Beckett: So you deny that Bardot supplied you with confidential NYPD files?
Flanagan: Absolutely. With prejudice. That kid came in here looking for a job as a lingerie salesman
Beckett: (preparing to leave) Bardot was working for you. And I'm going to prove that you killed him.
Flanagan: Twenty years.
Flanagan: Twenty years you guys have been coming in here with all these accusations against old Lucky Jack. The problem is the none of you ever follow it up with the proof. So, unless you're here to buy a pair of crotchless panties for that special someone in your life, I suggest you grab your hat and your boots and you get the hell out of my store.
Beckett: See, that's how I know I'm going to take you down. It's the cocky ones that are the easiest. You're so busy being clever you don't se the matchstick falling out of your pocket. Well, I'm going to find that matchstick and then I'm going to burn you with it.
(Malone fires at what he thinks is Beckett in the firing range, only to find it's a target dummy wearing Beckett's coat)
Beckett: (appearing behind him) Peek-a-boo.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Daniel Bardot, trainee police officer
- Cause of death: Shot; bullet removed from body after death
- Perp: Deputy Commissioner Malone
- Motive: Bardot had stolen some files from his laptop; he feared the files that were taken would expose his corruption in office