Season 7, Episode 1 (129)
Original Air Date - September 29, 2014
Beckett, Ryan, and Esposito quickly discover that Castle has been kidnapped and throughout the course of the investigation, with the FBI's help, uncover disturbing evidence that only leaves them with more questions and even makes everyone wonder how well they really knew the famous writer. Even more baffling is the fact that when they do find Castle, he has no memory of the entire time he was missing.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Detective
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Penny Johnson Jerald - Victoria Gates, Captain
- Maya Stojan - Tory Ellis, NYPD Tech
- Matt Letscher - Henry Jenkins (fake)
- Ryan Sands - Sergeant Tagger
- Jon Lindstrom - Agent Connors, FBI
- Don Stark - Vincent Cardano
- Rose Abdoo - Dr. Cynthia Swann
- Jamie Alvarez - Cal Harper, fruit stand operator
- Josh Latzer - Gary Duffin, junkyard employee
- Rob Yang - Dr. McLean
- Michael Flores - Bartender
- Christopher Michael - Sergeant Simms
- J. Teddy Garces - Firefighter
- Ken Meseroll - Man, other Henry Jenkins
- This episode and the preceding one, For Better or Worse, are the second and third episodes in the series in which no one is murdered, and the first since Little Girl Lost in season 1.
Beckett: What else?
Esposito: Kate. Everything that can be done is being done.
Beckett: Espo, don’t tell me that. They took him. I need to do something.
Beckett: How far is Medford from here?
Sgt. Taggert: Not far, the way I’m going to drive.
Sgt. Taggert: State police is ten minutes out. They want you to wait for backup.
Beckett: Not a chance in hell.
Gary Duffin: Ah! You’re going to break my finger.
Beckett: And then after that there’s nine more, so tell me what I want to know. Start talking.
FBI Agent Connors: People are complex. Maybe he had a breakdown. Or a personal crisis. And maybe there’s a secret side to the man that nobody knows. Including you.
Beckett: I will find Castle, with or without the FBI.
Connors: You’re assuming he wants to be found.
Beckett: I’m fine. I just never thought I’d see him again.
Lanie: Well if there’s anything that I can do –
Beckett: Actually, yeah. I need you to take a look at him.
Lanie: You do know living patients aren’t my thing, right?
Castle: Just so you know, the doctor said that kissing will speed my recovery.
Beckett: Kissing can wait, Castle.
Castle: Right. Sorry. I guess I put a little kink in our wedding plans.
Beckett: Is that supposed to be a joke?
Martha: I’d like to propose a toast. To safe returns.
Alexis: And to no more departures.
Castle: And to my amazing mother, my wonderful daughter, and the love of my life.
Beckett: And to coming home.
Castle: How did you not lose hope?
Beckett: I did lose hope, you know. But I – I would get it back. Developed rituals in order to hang on to it.
Castle: Like what?
Beckett: It’s…stupid. It really doesn’t matter.
Castle: No, I’d like to know.
Beckett: I would stare at your photo on the murder board. And I started thinking that if I would look at it long enough every day, that that would keep you alive.
Castle: I guess it worked.
Beckett: And then I had this thing about your chair.
Castle: My chair at the precinct?
Beckett: I wouldn’t let anyone touch it. And the night janitor came by, he tried to move the chair, and I freaked out. I almost shot him.
Castle: I am so sorry. For everything that I put you through.
Beckett: It’s not your fault, you know, you went through stuff, too, so…
Castle: Well it’s not the same. I can’t remember. Though I do know I missed you terribly. Because there’s no way I wouldn’t. We can’t just, um…pick up where we left off, can we? As if nothing happened.
Castle: We’ll get there. We’ll find our way home.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Richard Castle
- Crime: Kidnapped and memory erased. After going missing for 2 months, he has no memory of paying a mobster to destroy the SUV that was used to kidnap him, traveling to a location where dengue fever is prevalent, being shot, and stealing a dinghy from a Massachusetts dock.
- Clue: Had a key stamped with the number 38 sewn into his jeans. The man who identified Castle to Beckett as the man who camped near the dinghy that Castle was found in, turns out to be an impostor, leading everyone to think Castle has been framed. But for what and why?
- Perp: Unknown
- Motive: Unknown
- Sleeper - Episode 7x20, wherein some information of dubious accuracy is given as to Castle's absence.