Season 8, Episode 17 (168)
Original Air Date - 11 April 2016
Castle is thrilled when it appears that the murder of an Middle East antiquities expert may have been provoked by the discovery of Aladdin's lamp.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Denise Crosby - Dr Marion Baker
- Carolyn Stotesbery - Genevieve
- Erich Wildpret - Mike Harlin
- Alexandra Chun - Miss Cross
- John Ducey - Mark Nagle
- TJ Ramini - Prince Khalid
- Layla Alizada - Phoebe
- Frank Tran - Lars Cross
Castle: Mother, what do you want? Martha: I want for my son to grant me a very simple wish. Now it seems that my publisher says that, for my self-help book, I need a celebrity endorsement. And not just any celebrity endorsement – the endorsement of endorsements. Castle: Mother, I would be delighted to write something for your book... Martha: Oprah. I need Oprah. Beckett: Do you even know Oprah? Castle: I do not.
Beckett (answering her phone): Er ... Beckett. Oh! Hey, Ryan and Espo have caught a homicide. You wanna join them? Castle: Why? We got a crime scene right here. My mother just killed the mood.
Castle: So what do you think Lars was smuggling? Beckett: Well, he was in Turkey, which is the heroin pipeline from Afghanistan. Castle: Hmm, no. Wasn't drugs. Beckett: Why not? Castle: Because Lars was beheaded by a scimitar. The storyteller in me craves an explanation far more ... Beckett: Far-fetched? Castle: Yeah. Beckett: Pirate's booty. Cold fusion. Alien cadavers. Castle: No, those are all ridiculous theories. Did you say alien cadavers, though? Because I saw this documentary once ...
Beckett: I love being a captain. It's just that sometimes it feels more like being a kindergarten teacher. (Esposito and Ryan, arguing, burst in) Esposito: I'm a sergeant ...! Ryan Hey! ... Esposito: (to Beckett): I just broke this case wide open. Ryan: Actually, I did, so I'll go first. Esposito: No, I think I'll go first. Mines bigger than yours. Ryan: Yeah, you wish, pal. Beckett: Guys? Play nice. Indoor voices. Espo goes first.
Castle: (reading about the symbol on the lamp Lars is holding in a photograph) "The seal of Solomon: The seal of Solomon was believed to be imbued with mystical powers - including the ability to seal genies into lamps. In the tale of Aladdin and the magic lamp, Aladdin finds a lamp containing a genie in a cave. Many believe this cave was actually King Solomon's tomb, which is most likely located on the border... of Syria and Turkey." You guys! You know what this means? (Ryan and Esposito look baffled) Beckett: (resignedly, to herself) Oh please, no. Castle: Come on! The money? The Porsche? Lars wished for them! And the sites were granted ... Beckett: And here we go... Castle: ... BY A GENIE!
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Lars Cross, sonar technician and aniquities enthusiast
- Cause of death: Beheaded with scimitar in his apartment
- Perp: Dr Marion Baker, archaeology professor, Lars's former teacher
- Motive: Consumed with jealousy and greed over his great discovery