Season 8, Episode 19 (170)
Original Air Date - 25 April 2016
Castle is amazed when a mild-mannered safety inspector survives two apparently certain deaths at the hand of a would-be murderer. Meanwhile, Caleb offers Beckett a major new lead on LokSat.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Jonathan Silverman - Alan Masters
- Kristoffer Polaha - Caleb Brown
- Kate Cobb - Gwen Parker
- Maurice Benard - Horatio Spate
- Brian Scolaro - Dave Barton
- Patrick Labyorteaux - Glen Hume
- Kenzo Lee - Mike Lin
- Elimu Nelson - Frank Patchett
- This is the fourth Castle episode in which no one is killed, the previous three being Little Girl Lost, For Better or Worse and Driven
Beckett: (waking up) What are you doing?
Castle: Watching you sleep. Is that creepy?
Beckett: No, I think it's sweet.
Castle: I took some pictures.
Beckett: Less sweet.
Castle: They're part of a series. Usually you don't wake up.
Beckett: And now it's creepy.
Castle: Let's say we find LokSat and take him down. Without getting killed. What then? You're not going to be the captain of the 12th Precinct for very long. You're on a rocket. The sky's the limit. So you know what happens then?
Castle: We become normal.
Beckett: No, Castle. (ruffling his hair) You're never going to be normal!
Castle: What a way to go.
Lanie: Poison? Or on the phone to the cable company?
Castle: Well, at least the poison was quick.
Castle: (walking past Alan's body) You know, if I was an expert on character - which I am - I would have said that Alan was a bit of a dreamer. Spending his days on the ground inspecting things, but his night in the clouds, fantasising about adventure. Tragically, his life was cut short before he ever truly lived.
Alan: (suddenly up on his feet, behind them) Hey, What's going on?
Castle: ... or not ...
Lanie: Sorry, Castle, but this time he really is dead.
Castle: What a waste.
Lanie: To be given a second chance and have it taken away like this.
Castle: He was just going to go back to work as if nothing happened.
Castle: If I hadn't been so focused on his rebirth I might have noticed that wire. I could have saved him ...
Lanie: You can't beat yourself up, Castle. I was starting to think he was some kind of medical miracle. Turns out, he was just lucky - and in the end, his luck ran out.
(Alan wakes up with a start, spluttering, and scrambles up wearily onto the couch).
Castle: (astounded) Forget lucky...
Alan: (sniffing) Someboy cooking barbecue?
Castle: ... He's immortal!
Castle: You are a superhero!
Alan: No, I'm really not. I'm just an ordinary guy.
Castle: You were an ordinary guy, Alan. That's how most superheroes start out. Mild-mannered weaklings. And that's you!
Alan: Gee, thanks.
Castle: Relax! It's all to maximise your transformative arc!
Alan: (seeing Gwen waiting at the table) This is a huge mistake. I'm a safety inspector! That's not even a little sexy. This is so much scarier than dying!
Castle: You are Alan Masters, superhero! Chicks dig superheroes!
Alan: Should I tell her I'm a superhero?
Castle: I wouldn't open with that.
Alan: Lithium aluminium hydride. This is the same chemical that spilled when I was inspecting Xantium Labs!
Lanie: This is why they wanted you dead!
Alan: When the synthetic heroin hits the streets, it'll come out that it was made with LAH...
Lanie: ... and since you knew the lab had purchased large amounts of LAH ...
Alan: ...they couldn't take the risk that I might see something on the news, put the pieces together and report it to the authorities....
Lanie: ... which means ...
Alan and Lanie (together): Someone at Xantium Labs is trying to kill me/you!
Beckett: Oh my gosh, is that what we sound like?
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Alan Masters, safety inspector
- Cause of death: not dead – eventually survives three attempted murders, by poisoning, electrocution and gunshot
- Perp: Gwen Chambers, employee at a laboratory Alan had fined
- Motive: To cover up the drug-manufacturing ring she was running there