Season 8, Episode 22 (173) (series finale)
Original Air Date - 16 May 2016
Beckett, Castle, Hayley, and Vikram use the information Caleb Brown provided to set up an ambush for LokSat - but end up sitting ducks themselves. Once they escape, it becomes more and more difficult to figure out which clues are reliable, which are fabricated, and whom they can trust.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Kristoffer Polaha - Caleb Brown
- Gerald McRaney - Mason Wood
- Jed Rees - Flynn
- Rainey Spurlock - Lily
- Brady Steib - Jake
- Tyler Steib - Reece
- After eight seasons and 173 episodes, Crossfire was the last episode of Castle. With the cast at the the end of their one-year contracts for season 8, negotiations had been under way for a short season 9 in which, it emerged, Beckett would not appear as a character. However, on 12 May 2016,, ABC announced officially that the show would be cancelled.
- Crossfire had originally been intended as a season rather than series finale, but an alternative ending was shot during filming in case negotiations for a new season broke down. In the event, the cancellation was announced only four days before the episode aired, but it did appear with the alternative ending: a flash-forward three years into the future that showed Castle and Beckett at home in the loft with their three children.
Beckett: (looking across at vendor in park): Are yu thinking what I'm thinking? Castle: Mm-hmm. You want a fudgeslcle too.
(on which bystander might be LokSat)
Castle: I got twenty bucks says it's the handsy yogi over there.
Beckett: I'm going for the Carrot Top Cruella De Vil. Wait, wait. Does she look a bit like your first ex-wife?
Castle: She kind of does. Oh, my God. Could my ex-wife be LokSat? 'Cause in a lot of ways, that would make perfect sense.
Castle: (To Hayley): Thaks. I owe you one. And by 'one', I mean more like 'one dozen'.
Beckett: You want to go back to being a government analyst? Vikram: I want to go back to being boring. I've kind of forgotten what that feels like.
(Beckett is looking through her camera and the dead-drop) Castle: What f-stop are you using? Beckett: Excuse me? Castle: F-stop. It's a function on the camera that tells it how much light to ... Beckett: Yeah, I know what an f-stop is! This isn't a shoot for National Geographic. It's on auto. Castle: Ha! Oh, no no no ... (he comes over). Never use auto here ... Let me just get ... ow! Beckett: Castle, stop messing with my stuff! Castle: I thought you liked it when I messed with your stuff!
Castle: Mason, you are quite literally a lifesaver! And talk about a getaway vehicle: a Korean barbecue taco truck? Are you serious? Is anyone hungry right now? Because I could totally whip up some kimchi tostitas.
Beckett: Loksat and his cleaner have had us running for cover like they're the hunters. That's good. They'll never see us coming.
Martha: A feisty Merlot, an elegant spread, delightful company ... If I wasn't scared out of my mind, this would be a lovely afternoon.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Unknown body in the trunk of a stolen car
- Cause of death: Immolation when the car is set on fire
- Perp: Flynn
- Motive: Setting up false clues to mislead Castle and Beckett
- Victim: Caleb Brown
- Cause of death: Two gunshot wounds at close range
- Perp: Kate Beckett
- Motive: Self-defense
Previous episode: Hell to Pay