Season 8, Episode 13 (164)
Original Air Date: February 29, 2016
Students in an English as Second Language class find that there are problems bigger than linguistic differences when one of their classmates is murdered and his shocking past is revealed. And Castle has a vivid flashback to another part of his missing time.
- Nathan Fillion - Richard Castle
- Stana Katic - Kate Beckett, Captain of the 12th Precinct
- Susan Sullivan - Martha Rodgers (Castle's mother)
- Molly C. Quinn - Alexis Castle (Castle's daughter)
- Jon Huertas - Javier Esposito, Detective
- Seamus Dever - Kevin Ryan, Detective
- Tamala Jones - Lanie Parish, Medical Examiner
- Toks Olagundoye - Hayley Shipton
- Sunkrish Bala - Vikram Singh
- Arye Gross - Perlmutter
- JD Walsh - John Emerson
- Greg Serano - Agent Napier
- Grainger Hines - Judge Caldwell
- Karan Oberoi - Achmed
- Nondumiso Tembe - Aida N'diaye
- Greg Bryan - Alistair Gascoyne
- Manuel Uriza - Alonzo Sanchez
- Roman Arabia - Diego Lopez
- Brennan Feonix - Marco Sutter
- Brad Gunberg - Gary
- Jack Guzman - Frankie Saldana
- Bora Jasa - Kim Hyun Joo
- Danny Vasquez - Jose Saldana
- For his pseudonym, Castle chooses to be known as "Jean-Luc de la Croix". Jean-Luc is the first name of the captain of the Enterprise on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Castle: Stop it, stop it, stop!
Beckett: (entering with two coffees): Err ... who are you yelling at?
Castle: No one. I still have writer's block, that's all.
Beckett: So you're taking it out on your laptop?
Castle: No, not the laptop. The cursor. I mean, just look at it there taunting me, blinking on-off, on-off. Like it's so easy writing a bestselling novel. Because I'd like to see you try it, Mr Cursor! I'd like to see you try it! I'd..
Beckett: (closing laptop gently but firmly) You know what - why don't we just say goodbye to Mr Cursor?
Castle: What am I supposed to write about without my muse, Beckett? I need you. I'm Sherlock without Watson!
Beckett: You probably mean Watson without your Sherlock, because after all, my darling (kissing him), you're the writer.
Perlmutter: I've been meaning to say how proud I am of you.
Beckett: Oh! For what?
Perlmutter: For breaking up with Mr Castle, of course. Now you're are to meet a man who can really appreciate you.
Beckett: Um ...
Perlmutter: Like my brother Edgar.
Beckett: Your, er, brother?
Perlmutter: My identical twin.
Beckett Oh! ... There's two of you?
Perlmutter: Be happy to introduce you ...
Beckett: Yeah. No. Er ... no. But thank you, Perlmutter. Its just that I'm not quite ready to date right now.
The Class: (reading together from blackboard) ..."to get to JFK airport from here, you can take the E Train."
Emerson: (continuing teaching) But since you are late for your flight, I suggest you take a cab.
The Class: "But since you are late for your flight, I suggest you take a cab."
Esposito: (entering classroom) Yo, we're NYPD.
Ryan: We need to talk.
The Class: "Yo, we're NYPD. We need to talk".
Beckett: Good job, Castle, I'll have Ryan and Espo take it from here.
Castle: Are you going to tell them about my involvement?
Beckett: I have to. I mean, I'll say that you found out about the ESL class on your own, and that I had no idea you were going undercover.
Castle: You think they'll buy it?
Beckett: Oh, I don't know, when have you ever gone against my wishes and interfered with an investigation?
Beckett: Castle, I'm not going to Korea.
Castle: No, you're right. I should go first, that ...
Beckett: And neither are you. We don't have enough information yet. It's too dangerous. You almost got killed in Thailand.
Castle: Yeah. Yes, you're right. I'll just try to keep triggering more memories loose. Are you in the mood for some kimchi? Because I bought like $400 worth, and that stuff goes right through me.
Castle: (to Emerson) It was a solid plan. I mean, who's going to notice? They were here alone, marginalised by society ... In your position I'd have done the same thing.
Esposito: No you wouldn't.
Castle: No, I wouldn't. I have a soul.
Castle: (realising) I wasn't in Korea: I was in Koreatown, in Los Angeles. Beckett – I've got to go to LA.
Full Episode Recap
- Victim: Eddie Ramirez, former Salvadorean cop, now night janitor
- Cause of death: Bludgeoned and left in reptile tank with a live snake
- Perp: John Emerson, ESL instructor
- Motive: Feared being exposed for for his part in Judge Caldwell's scam – jailing undocumented workers at a facility that paid kickbacks for being provided with inmates